As many of you may know, or figured out very quickly, I’m a massive Star Trek fan, to the point that I can probably quote many episodes and movies line-for-line, with or without my dubious Shatner impression.
Growing up in the late 80s and through the 90s, there was always Trek on TV, be it re-runs of the original series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and even Voyager.
Seeing the wealth of technology, like a computer you could talk to, devices as thin and light as a paper notebook that you could work on and view data on wherever you went. It seemed so far into the future, but yet here we are in 2023 with more voice assistants than Tribbles, iPads as far as the eye can see, and wireless communication that would make even Data jealous.
This week, my returning guest is a fellow Trek nerd and all round interface design guru, Gedeon Maheux from The Icon Factory. It was so much fun to nerd out with Gedeon, whilst narrowly avoiding Picard season 3 spoilers for you all. We dissect how technology has been inspired by Star Trek, and where we may have advances beyond some of the things we saw, certainly in earlier Trek.
Are you a Trek nerd like us, or maybe you’ve just seen bits of it but don’t know your Warp Core from your Genesis Device? Whatever your experience of Star Trek, good or bad, we’d love to hear from you, so please send us a note to [email protected], or why not come join the discussion on our Discord server.
If you liked this episode or any of our content, we’d greatly appreciate any little bit of support you can throw our way over at our Ko-Fi page.
If you want great pricing with fantastic customer support for all your Linux based cloud computing needs, you can get $100 of free credit with Linode, cloud computing by Akamai, when you sign up here.
- gedblog – Gedeon’s Blog with links to socials
- The Icon Factory – great design, apps and freebies
- Ollie, Space Karen, And An API – Gedeon’s first appearance on the show to talk about Twitter’s API
- Mike Okuda – Twitter via Nitter.net
- 00:00:04: Introductions
- 00:02:31: A Quick Twitter Update
- 00:05:54: Star Trek Picard Season 3
- 00:09:32: Tech Clearly Inspired by Trek
- 00:23:40: Communications & Voice Assistants
- 00:36:17: Security Codes
- 00:45:10: Reconciling TOS Tech
- 00:52:39: The UI of LCARS
- 01:03:33: Favourite Trek Moments
- 01:11:52: Wrapping Up
Intro and outro theme: Ace of Clubs by RoccoW