Do you remember sitting in front of your computer with a miniDV camcorder hooked up by FireWire and waiting patiently for the footage to capture to your editor of choice, possibly iMovie or Windows Movie Maker? Maybe you were a professional editor who had to log and capture hours of footage into Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, or even AVID, and then crafting your masterpiece only to then have to render your audio separately for some random reason.
Well, Jack and Sam braved the wild west of the early days of DV cameras and editing, even using an Amiga powered NLE, to produce a video on some old film cameras for their blog. We chat about not only the experience of capturing and editing, but also talk about how sometimes the older ways of capturing moments can be more enjoyable.
Do you have any fun, or even haunting, memories of working with digital video in the pre-iPhone and SD Card era? We’d love to hear from you, so why not send a note over to [email protected], leave a comment on the post, or join the discussion over on our Discord server
If you liked this episode or any of our content, we’d greatly appreciate any little bit of support you can throw our way over at our Ko-Fi page.
If you want great pricing with fantastic customer support for all your Linux based cloud computing needs, you can get $100 of free credit when you sign up here with our friends Linode.
- Jack & Sam’s Blog
- Sam’s Instagram
- Cannon XL1
- Bronica EC-TL (CameraQuest)
- Pentax ME Super (Wikipedia)
- Digital Video Editing with a 68060 | Macrosystem Casablanca (WHAT CRAP HAVE YOU BOUGHT NOW? – YouTube)
- iMovie (Wikipedia)
- Apple Power Macintosh G4 1.42 DP (EveryMac.com)
- Final Cut Pro (Wikipedia)
- MicroMV and me – Tiny Videotape, big impact (Techmoan – YouTube)
- 00:00:01: Podcast Recommendation: Art Heals All Wounds
- 00:00:34: Introductions
- 00:05:02: Let’s Male A Video
- 00:10:01: Canon XL1 & Early DV
- 00:17:06: iPhone Transfer Frustration
- 00:19:43: Is Capturing Easier?
- 00:21:31: FireWire
- 00:25:10: The Attraction of Film
- 00:30:19: Macrosystems Casablanca
- 00:39:09: An iMac, Jamming Cameras, and a Power Mac G4
- 00:49:17: Final Cut Woes
- 00:57:03: Are Old Tools Better?
- 00:59:14: The Impact of iMovie
- 01:04:57: Wrapping Up
- 01:17:28: PODCAST TRAILER: Art Heals All Wounds
Intro and outro theme: Ace of Clubs by RoccoW