A lot of my memories of being younger revolve around summer holidays to the seaside, where there was always a reasonably well stocked arcade not far away. I’d spend a lot of my summer spending money on various games, which at the time were so engaging.
This week, a chat with Alex who has a huge collection of arcade machines, and is working with Neil from RMC Retro to open a wonderful interactive arcade museum in the same mill that houses The Cave. It’s also the last ever episode of the show to be recorded in the old studio at my previous flat, I moved out literally a few days after this was recorded.
Alex and I discuss the early days of arcade, where the arcade started to decline, not to mention the amazing story of an unreleased Nintendo made game, Sky Skipper, which Alex and friends were able to lovingly re-create.
If you have fond memories of the arcade, this is absolutely an episode you’ll enjoy and I’d love to hear your stories in the comments below, on Goodpods, or just drop us an email to [email protected].
If you liked this episode or any of our content, we’d greatly appreciate any little bit of support you can throw our way over at our Ko-Fi page.
- Arcade Archive on YouTube / Twitter
- Pepper’s Ghost (WIkiPedia)
- Alex’s Sky Skipper reveal at Arcade Club (YouTube)
- Sky Skipper on the Nintendo Switch eShop
- 00:00:04: Introductions
- 00:06:53: The Draw Of The Arcade
- 00:09:43: Arcade Innovations
- 00:18:25: Desert Island Arcade Games
- 00:22:32: Sky Skipper – The Unreleased Game
- 00:34:11: Arcade In A Mill?
- 00:42:29: Collecting, Emulation & FPGA
- 00:48:16: Wrapping Up
- 00:51:40: A Switch Addendum
Intro and outro theme: Ace of Clubs by RoccoW