Over the last few years, I’ve become much more of what could be considered a ‘Gamer’, being a Mac user somewhat excluded me from modern gaming and I’d play much more casual games on my iPhone and iPad. After picking up a Nintendo Switch, I started to enjoy playing mainstream titles again, and as a result became interested in the gaming industry itself.
My guest, Matthew Bliss, runs ‘The Dead Drop’ gaming podcast which is a 10-minute or less twice-weekly show focussed on concise gaming news from across the industry.
We talk about the problems with a lot of gaming journalism, the rumour mill, the attacks on developers over game features and release dates, as well as the state of game payment, content moderation, and the general state of play when it comes to gaming.
What’s your take on the current state of gaming, do you have views on micro-transactions for example? We’d love to hear from you, so send a note over to [email protected], leave a comment on the post, or start a discussion in Goodpods.
If you liked this episode or any of our content, we’d greatly appreciate any little bit of support you can throw our way over at our Ko-Fi page.
- Matthew Bills on Twitter
- The Dead Drop
- jPod – Book (GoodReads) / TV Series (Just Watch)
- Our Chat with Stoo Cambridge from Sensible Software
- NoClip Documentary on DMA Design (YouTube)
- Blizzard axes Overwatch 2 phone number requirement in update on game’s rocky launch (Polygon)
- Hideo Kojima Ousted from Konami (GameRant – 2015)
- 00:00:04: Introductions
- 00:03:08: Efficiency & Quality Of Journalism
- 00:05:10: The Curse of the Fast News Cycle
- 00:11:36: Apple’s Place In Gaming
- 00:13:22: The Nintendo Switch Cycle
- 00:15:59: New Players In Mobile Gaming
- 00:23:13: Game Makers Are Humans Too
- 00:31:56: Getting What You Pay For
- 00:41:47: Moderation In Online Games
- 00:53:16: Wrapping Up
Intro and closing theme: Ace of Clubs by RoccoW