As we hear more stories of systems and services being compromised by malicious attackers, often simply referred to as ‘hackers’, we need to be aware of the basics of how these attacks work and what we should be looking out for in our daily tech lives.
We’re probably all fed up of the increasing complexity of logging into our favourite websites and apps, but the reality is that passwords, multi-factor authentication and now ‘passwordless’ ways of proving our online identity are more important than ever.
Talking with Sascz, we try to address some of the common questions around keeping ourselves safe in a digital world, as well as wincing at some of the painful examples we’ve seen of bad security habits that make even 16309, 12345, or 000 Destruct 0 look like strong password choices.
This is absolutely an episode where we want to hear your feedback, your experiences, and maybe things you’ve learned from our discussion. Maybe you have a different viewpoint on some of the things we’ve raised, so please send a note over to [email protected], leave a comment on the post, or join the discussion over on our Discord server
If you liked this episode or any of our content, we’d greatly appreciate any little bit of support you can throw our way over at our Ko-Fi page.
If you want great pricing with fantastic customer support for all your Linux based cloud computing needs, you can get $100 of free credit when you sign up with our friends Linode here.
- Alexander (Sascz) Hermann: Website | Twitter
- Time-based one-time password (TOTP – WikiPedia
- You Should be Afraid of SIM Swaps – Malicious Life
- iCloud Hide My Email
- Fastmail Masked Email
- Free Password Generator by 1Password
- Password Managers
- WSJ Journal Article: Criminals Use iPhones To Steal Digital Lives
- Password Entropy: The Value of Unpredictable Passwords (Okta)
- About the Security of Passkeys (Apple)
- Windows Hello
- 00:00:04: Introductions
- 00:02:16: AFFILIATE PROMO: Linode
- 00:03:12: Guest Intro – Alexander
- 00:08:27: An Old Problem
- 00:11:51: Vulnerabilities
- 00:15:10: Social Engineering
- 00:26:38: Being Mindful of Social Media Posts
- 00:31:44: Software Updates
- 00:36:47: Endpoint Security
- 00:40:15: Protecting the Average User
- 00:47:42: Protecting Our Phones
- 00:56:26: Whole Disk Encryption
- 00:57:20: Multi Factor Authentication
- 01:04:58: Passwords Matter
- 01:10:48: Strong Passwords & Password Generation
- 01:20:50: Corporate Authentication
- 01:26:37: Zero Trust
- 01:28:00: Password Managers
- 01:38:17: Passwordless
- 01:45:18: Wrapping Up
Intro and outro theme: Ace of Clubs by RoccoW